Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Everything old is new again.....


I am probably the only person in the world that loves to iron. I own 5 or 6 vintage table cloths for everyday use and last year bought 3 vintage Christmas tablecloths for the Holidays. About 6 years ago my great DH built me a 22x60 ironing surface and mounted it on top of wire baskets for fabric storage. Nothing makes me happier (um...well some things make me happier, but I won't get into that here) than standing upstairs in the sewing room and pressing fabric, clothes and tableclothes.

Imagine my surprise when I found this at Wal*mart today. I have been looking for a new iron to use with my fusible applique. This one was very reasonable and looks just like the one my Mom used to use when I was growing up. I remember coming home from school and Mom would have her ironing board set up in the living room. The day before Mom would have sprinkled the shirts with water, rolled them up in a ball and stored them in the refrigerator. This was before permanent press and everything had to be ironed. All of our dresses for school, all of my Dad's shirts.

AH!!! The smell of freshly ironed clothes....

I am still working on the little redwork pillow sham for the baby shower on Sunday and now have two t-shirts to machine embroider. I found shirts for Grace and Jackson and will put "BIG SISTER" and BIG BROTHER" on them for the baby shower.

Gotta go and ice the cupcakes that just finished cooling.

Happy Sewing Day!
Nancy

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmmm, and would the things that make you happeir, be Me Whip....lol... or perhaps having dinner at 3 in the afternoon?....lol.... too funny. Did you understand the info I sent you on the wallet?

Sweet P said...

I love to iron too. Can you show us a photo of your ironing board? Sounds wonderful to me.

Kim said...

You are not alone, my mother has this same sickness. Hang on! Will be there to do an intervention ASAP. ROFL!

I do appreciate a good iron and I have one of those giant ironing boards, too, thanks to my DH...now if dear mom lived within ironing range, I would bring her on board (pun intended) to iron all of my quilt fabric after the pre-wash.