Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Update on Tackle It Tuesday......

I spent all afternoon in the sewing room. Nothing better than being home alone listening to Simon and Garfunkels greatest hits and sewing....

Here is the almost finished Lil Birdies. My plan didn't include the 2 1/2 inch squares around the outer edge, but I think it looks better ....

WITH -



than without -


The left edge of with is empty as I ran out of squares, but have lots leftover to use. I will finish this off tomorrow am and take it to the LQS to get a border. If Pat is working, I will end up with 2 borders. Pat is under the impression that every quilt needs two borders. One to stop the pattern and one to border. I don't always agree and in fact we argue when I make a Yellow Brick Road because I don't add ANY borders to those.... lol

I am kind of a freak when I press my blocks. They must be flat and I mean flat. Last October I saw a lady using some blue stuff in a spray bottle and asked her what it was. She told me she likes her blocks flat, so she uses spray starch. Yes, but what is the blue stuff in the spray bottle? Sta-Flo Starch. She mixes it with 6 parts Sta-Flo and 2 parts water. Into a spray bottle and she sprays everything. She let me use it and I LOVED IT... A hot iron, a bottle of Sta-Flo and I am set....



Hope your Tackle it Tuesday was as productive as mine....

Happy Sewing

Nancy

5 comments:

Sweet P said...

Your quilt is adorable.

As for borders, I've done everything from no borders to two borders. I don't know what is my favorite.

I've never seen Sta Flo before. I've started using Mary Ellen's Best Press and I like it.

Tamara said...

I really like the birds with the borders it makes the blocks seem to pop a bit more. But than this is my personal opinion.

I just love those lil birds. What is the name of the pattern for them.

Patty said...

Lovely little quilt! I like it best with the checkerboard border, finishes it off in a way.
I also 'make' my own spray starch....I got fed up with the nozzles clogging all the time!

Marsha said...

Nancy, your quilt is just adorable! I hope all goes well with the daughter and baby!

Lynette Anderson said...

I like my blocks flat and pressed well, if I can find some of that starch here I am going to get it.
thanks