Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It's like riding a bike.......

I took Home Ec in 7th grade. Our first sewing project was a simple apron. It was a square piece of fabric with a casing for this piece of circle plastic. I did ok. Then we advanced to an A-Line skirt. I chose denim (this was the late 60's) and even managed to put a zipper in it. I never got a grade on the skirt. It was stolen from my cubby. I did get an A but only because the teacher said it must have been good if someone took it...LOL

Fast forward to my first year of marriage. We were in the service so I couldn't find a job (they wouldn't hire Navy wives as we were considered transient) and with our very first income tax refund we bought me a small black singer sewing machine. I then proceeded to purchase a pants pattern (hey, there wasn't anyone there to tell me not to start with pants!), scissors, pins and some denim brushed cotton. I actually finished them and surprise of all surprises they fit perfectly. Of course I didn't know that brushed cotton was considered directional, so each pant leg looked a little different color...but hey, I wore them to shreds...

When the girls were little I found a pattern for a simple sun dress that was lined and made them....

Um...the girls are now married with kids of their own and I haven't sewn a garment since.

Yesterday I found out that my favorite jeans had a butt hole. A serious butt hole that apparently no one in the family noticed and I have been wearing them out for who knows how long.... Well, they aren't fixable so I will continue to wear them at home, but had to drag out the only other pair of jeans I own. I bought both pair at the same time about 6 years ago. Yea, I don't like to clothes shop... I didn't like the second pair as much so I never wore them. When I pulled them out yesterday they still had the tags on them!! LOL I crossed my fingers and put them on and THEY FIT!! YEA!! BUT....they were a tad too wide in the legs. Yea, so I don't follow fashion fads so I don't know if boot cut is in or not, but these were more like wide leg bell bottoms... from the 70's... So what did I do?? I fixed them. Turned those suckers inside out and sewed a new seam line and slimmed those puppies down. It only took me an hour and I have a new pair of jeans that actually look ok. I guess. I still don't know what kind of pants legs I am supposed to be wearing, but heck I live in a small town, no one will even notice.

I was surprised how easy it was to alter them. It was like riding a bike. I guess you don't forget how....

A photo of the bottom of jeans legs wouldn't be so cool, so I thought I would show you a photo of the fabric that the winner can choose from. I have 1/2 yard of each so I can probably get a set of zipper bags from any of the colors. When you win, just tell me which color you want and they will be made to order and sent pronto...
If you really want to go crazy, you can pick two colors....



Do you garment sew? I am thinking of venturing into making some sun dresses for the granddaughters...any patterns you would suggest?

Happy Sewing,
Nancy

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh when I read that you don't like to shop for clothing because I'm the same way.. I'll wear something to the ground before I replace it and am forced to buy more.. I even refuse to try something on.. I'll hold it up to me and if it looks right then toss it in the cart and I'm out of there.
I do sew garments.. but mostly for myself. There was a time when I use to make ladies dresses and sell in my Etsy store but I got tired of that and started making clothes for myself.
Don't know what to say about little girls dresses, haven't made any of those since my own girls grew up.

em's scrapbag said...

I haven't sewn clothes since my boys were little. Jeans and t shirts got too borring. By the time I got a daughter I wasn't into sewing clothes anymore.

Pat said...

There was a time when I had to sew clothes for myself and the girls out of necessity, so after that time passed...I no longer enjoyed sewing clothes. It wasn't fun..... I did sew a set of matching Easter dresses for two of the grandkids and I did make 2 Christening outfits, but other than that, no more clothes sewing for me. I prefer my sewing now to be quilts and other fun projects. NICE polka-dots for the zipper bags! I'll be deciding on colors in case I win. LOL

Shelly said...

It amazes me how many people I've found through quilting blogs that DON'T sew anything but quilts or totes and such. I've been sewing since I was 4 year old. Mom started me sewing my own Barbie doll clothes at that point. By age 9 I was putting in zippers (hated that then, still hate zippers). I sewed all of my maternity clothes, matching outfits for my kids at holidays, have sewn for others, sewn costumes for my kids' dance studio and our Mardi Gras groups, still sewing for my kids (and their in their early teens), sew for myself and now will have 2 grandchildren to start sewing for (in May and then in October). If you want wonderful clothing that aren't "hard" to sew up but look absolutely beautiful, go to the You Can Make This website. There are TOO many wonderful patterns there that are super for little girsl and boys that you can make there! Love their patterns and they are designed by mom-preneurs. Many of them have blogs here in the blogosphere that I follow faithfully. They are fabulous women, designers, and "virtual" friends.
Shelly

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Hi Nancy, loved your write up, we probably grew up at the same time. I make the girls sun dresses and will get the numbers off of the patterns for you. What sizes? They are sew easy...
Keep Stitchen'
Bonnie

Val said...

Ahhh the memories, LOL. We made an A line dress in 7th grade which I'll never forget. I took Home Ec all through school and loved it. I dreamed of having a granddaughter I could sew for. Uh huh. Yep. Have the granddaughter and have made her one jacket and um a tote bag? ROFLOL! One of these days......................
I did sew for myself and both daughters when they were young. I can't fit myself now so quit trying it got so frustrating.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

I too took home Ec in 7th grade. Then in 9th grade, 10th grade and even my Senior year. I got the Betty Crocker award. Yipee a little lapel pin!
I occassionally make something to wear. Last I made a wool poncho and lined it. It's really cheaper anymore to watch sales and buy the clothes already made. I mean patterns with out Joann's or Hobby Lobby coupons are $15 or more!
I am wanting to make the baptising gown for the little princess when she comes, but DIL hasn't decided if she wants MIL to make one or buy one?!?!?
I love the red and blue polka dot!
Patti

vickie y said...

Oh Nancy, I'm with you, I hate to shop for clothes! I used to make almost all my clothes in High School. I even made dresses for my nieces for my wedding. I can't even tell you the last time I made a garment. Probably the pj pants on Pat's group a couple of years ago! I just love your blog, and the way you get so much done!
Vickie in Cleveland

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

You and I must be on the same clothes shopping schedule!! Now quilt fabric...every day or twice a day is fine, but clothes for me - only when absolutely necessary.