Tuesday, February 24, 2009

More work on the OP....

Yesterday I decided to keep working on the OP quilt. I am really getting to like this quilt a LOT.. I think this is the first time I have made a lap quilt that didn't have a home before it was made. I have always had a reason to make a quilt before. Either it was a Christmas or Birthday present or a new baby... This one is all because of Pat Sloan..



I decided on 3 inch sashing and borders. I got all the sashing done, but the borders are longer than 40" on the sides so I need more Kona White so I don't have to piece the borders. I will go either today or tomorrow and get more. I don't usually have a problem piecing the borders, but with white it would look less appealing with seams in the borders.

I was taking the photo above and had to put the quilt on my bedroom floor as it is too wide to hang on the design wall. Even though I am 5'9" I still had to stand on the bed and with a white bedspread I pulled it down to stand on the sheets instead..
Imagine my surprise when I found this on my bed....



My Mom won this in a raffle and gave it to me as orange isn't her color. Because I keep it white side up so it doesn't show through my bedspread I had forgotten all about it!! LOL

I'm gonna be retreat packing the next few days, but I'll still be blog reading and writing... I will have lots of show-n-tell when I get back next Monday...

Happy Sewing,
Nancy

11 comments:

Pat said...

I still chuckle when I think about you being shocked when you turned that quilt down on your bed!!! LOL

Stitched With Prayer said...

Nancy, Your OP quilt is really wonderful. So cheerful that is makes me smile (not to mention long for spring...nope, for summer, lol) and I do love lap quilts, I'm just binding my first throw size quilt. (My Scleroderma makes me cold all the time so even in the summer I alway have a blanket over my knees and feet so I'm trying to get several made) but I digress, sorry...Your Op quilt turned out beautifully. What collection of fabrics did you use, I know that many of them are in you blog banner (which is also delightful). Well, I'm obviously and Orange convert now thanks to Pat. I really love the ways I have seen it used in her challenge. What an eye opener. About the border, did you think of maybe using two smaller borders, one with a color and one of the white or are you too short on the white for that also. Either way, it is truly a keeper, thanks for posting the pictures. Oh, and the quilt on your bed, LOL, now that you have used orange are you maybe going to turn it over now and then? It looks like a really lovely quilt. Okay, I know this is long but I just have to mention the retreat too. I have never been to one and absolutely ache to attend one. I think it would be a quilters dream. No distractions, except all the fun things and 'quilt' stories (kind of like 'fish' stories). Pat's virtual retreat was so much fun it just made me want to go to one even more. One of these days I'll get there. Have a wonderful time and I can't wait to see your show and tell items when you get back. Enjoy!!!

acecraig100 said...

Your quilt looks great!

Unknown said...

Your lap quilt is turning out wonderful. Is the list of available homes for this quilt getting any longer?

Unknown said...

Oure art!!! Beautiful work my friend.... Beautiful!

Shelly said...

Love the white sashings in it. Looks GREAT!
Shelly

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Your OP quilt looks fantastic...have a grat time at your retreat...

Brenda said...

Nice job on that OP... I can't even think of strips when I see orange, my mind only wants to make pumpkins. I think I have a one track mind; maybe i should sign up at Pumpkins Anonymous, LOL!

Sweet P said...

Your orange quilt is awesome! The white really sets off the blocks. Have fun packing for your retreat. Take enough projects to keep you busy.

Nicole said...

Have fun on retreat! Love your OP quilt.

Denniele said...

Nancy....I had white chicken chili again last night for dinner! Was coming here to tell you thanks again and read about your "white" fabric dilemma. How about a skinny say 1 1/2" or so border of the blue and then putting on the white border?????? That way unless they are on top of the quilt they might never see the whites aren't an exact match. Just a thought! Thanks again for the recipe. Now I am back to work.
Denniele