Thursday, May 28, 2009

Top Chef...

My sister is a HUGE fan of the Bravo show Top Chef. A couple of months ago, she sent me a link to get tickets for the Top Chef 20 City Tour. My job was to check the website every day and when St Louis was in bold type I was to get tickets. Luckily I looked at the right time, as the tickets were gone within 1/2 hour. I clicked for 4 free tickets and called her at work.
Tickets-check!

Yesterday was THE DAY!! Miss Nancy and I met my sister at her work and while eating our lunch, we drove downtown to Soulard Market. LOOK,LOOK it's the Arch... I've been to the top once. The whole thing kind of sways and could make you feel unsafe...and if you are claustrophobic, you will never make it into the little capsule to ride up one leg to the arch.. It's TEENY TINY...





And a whole bunch of "suits"...probably off to lunch somewhere...



Oh, here's the new St. Louis Cardinals Stadium...I wonder if the name has changed since IMBEV bought out Budweiser... My sister LOVES the Cardinals and always knows if they win or lose. Miss Nancy's hubby (Hi Lloyd!!) loves the Cardinals also and their living room used to be ALL Cardinals, ALL the time!! He is a collector of Cardinals "stuff"...



And we made it!!



We got there a bit early (and snagged a great parking spot) so we had time for some fresh veggie/fruit shopping. Soulard is a year round open air veggie market.
I bought some fresh sweet cherries, plums and tomatoes that actually smell like tomatos. Do you smell your tomatos? There is nothing better than the smell of a garden fresh hot tomato...




See, we are booked at 1:30pm



We checked in, got our yellow arm bands and stood in the freekin hot sun forEVAH!! We were HOT!! Luckily they had a tent set up so we got to finally sit in the shade. After watching a short video highlighting past seasons, the Chef-testants were ushered in.

Stephanie and Dale... Let's see if I remember (and my sister will leave a comment if I am wrong). Stephanie just won last season, Dale was a chef-testant last season, but didn't win. Dale actually tried out first, made it and then "nominated" Stephanie, who was his sous chef and she won! Amazing...
For the next 40 minutes they answered Top Chef questions from the audience and cooked up some meatballs with pesto and sauteed veggies. We got to taste them, too!!

The veggies with pesto tasted really good. The meatball was a mixture of pork, lamb and turkey and it was green. Uh sorry.... I don't eat green meatballs. And they were dry... Sorry Top Chef..you scored a big ZERO on the meatballs.



But Stephanie was cute and Dale was funny!! Here are some pics during the show.




My sister with Stephanie and Dale....




My sister with cardboard cut outs of some other chef-testants. I guess they couldn't come so they sent their cardboard "selves". Um...Hey SIS!! They aren't real!! Why are you hugging cardboard???



Time to go home. We had a great time. If Top Chef is coming to your town (they are in Chicago right now) go see them.... You will have fun...

Click here - http://thetour.bravotv.com/

It is raining today. Good time to catch up on some housekeeping and work on those mystery quilt borders...

Anyone else having problems with blogger? It seems to be deleting photos, making up words and going absolutely weird...

Happy Sewing,
Nancy

6 comments:

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Thanks for the fun day trip. I rememeber going to Soulard Market when we lived in St Charles in the early 70's. Wish we had one here.
It's raining here today but I'm working at my paying job. I'd rather be home sewing.
Have fun!

Anonymous said...

You should have waved at me as you drove by ;)
I've heard others that have been at fancy chief cookoffs that said not all the food taste as good as they make it out to.. but anyway you went for the fun, not necessarily for the tasting.
Yes, blogger has been giving me problems too.. yesterday it ate my pic's and today the pic's are there but if you try to enlarge them they distort.

Pat said...

What a FUN day trip...almost as much fun as Paducah.....NAH....not really (not even close, actually!!!)

Joanna said...

How cool is that?!!! Hubby and I are huge Top Chef fans - wish we had known about the tour - we would have gone to Boston to see them! Awesome post!

Anonymous said...

Green meatballs...?????? Yikes.....BUT, wish I'd been there...I LOVE Soulard...let me know next time!!!
Bev

Carolyn said...

Thanks for being the photographer :)

We had a fun time!!!

Carolyn