Friday, August 14, 2009

Blueberries....

UpstateLisawas feeling blue yesterday... She and her family picked almost 10lbs of blueberries. That's a lot of blue....

I picked some also. I pushed my way through millions of others in the heat. We all landed at the local grocery where blueberries were on sale for $1 a pint. Is that a good price? I don't buy them all that often so have no idea...


So now what to do with them? I got on RecipeZaar and looked up blueberries and found an easy recipe. My sister is the cook in the family and she uses recipezaar a lot. She still uses it even though they don't know it. She was kicked off!! LOL For being a bad girl. So she just signed up again using a different name..LOL HA HA...(oh..I hope they don't read my blog) Hey Sis, should I be worried that they will kick me off too????

Anyway. I found a recipe for Microwave Blueberry Jam. Here....I will share..

3 cups blueberries
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Put the blueberries in the blender (or food processor)I used my blender. I have a food processor but it was my grandmas and I swear it was the first one ever built. I only have the bottom knife part, not the grater or anything and it's really old and crappy looking and I think I will ask Santa for a new one...but I digress... So put the blueberries in the blender (or food processor) AND process til liquid. Add the sugar and cinnamon and mix. Pour all into a microwave safe 12 quart whatever.
Then microwave on high until it starts to boil. Then microwave for 1 minute more. Stir once.
Pour into a sterilized jar and refrigerate and it should set up.




Mine didn't. Whatever. I wasn't going to use it for jam anyway.



Ha...I used mine on ice cream. Edy's French Vanilla Ice Cream. YUM....

This weekend I will heat up the rest and use it on pancakes. Even more YUM....

No sewing yesterday. Some FQ shopping today. I am desperately trying to find browns/blacks/tans/cream that look MANLY... Making quilts for the sons-in-law this Christmas. It's really hard to find MANLY fabrics...and one of the no-so-LQS is having a FQ sale today. 1/2 price. I am there. Right now. While you are reading this. I am shopping. Don't you wish you were too?

Happy Sewing,
Nancy

3 comments:

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

I really wish I was with you, since I am typing this at work! Oh will work reads this?

Sweet P said...

Mmmm . . . blueberries. I love them. They look yummy!

Anonymous said...

Yes, $1 a pint is a good price.. we've been buying them at Aldi for that price.. I wash and freeze them to use on pancakes or in fruit smoothies.
I think I'm going to have to give your microwave jam/syrup recipe a try.. bet that would be delicious on pancakes too.