Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Let's make a Market Bag...my first ever tutorial

Pat has a challenge ahead of her to use 4 FQ's... You can read about the challenge here...



My comment was to make some Market Bags... Her comment? Show me how...



ok.. here goes...




My first tutorial.



What you will need:

1/2 yard fabric and your regular sewing supplies....thread, pins, sewing machine, rotary cutter, ruler etc.



Let's get started. Photo will show first then directions.


Press your fabric and straighten up the sides. It doesn't matter if your fabric is exactly 18 inches wide or not. Just so the sides are straight.



With the fold to the left, trim off the selvages along the top.



Now measure and cut 4 inches off across the top of the fabric. (the fold is at the bottom) This will give you two pieces of fabric 4"x18". These are the handles.


With wrong sides together, fold and press each fabric handle in half. Open up, fold the raw edges into the middle and press again. Fold in half again and press real good.



Now stitch down each edge of the handles. Set your handles aside. Let's move over to the bag body now.



To finish the top edge of the tote fold over 1/4 inch twice and press.



Top stitch across the top edges. I do a double top stitch for strength..


Now let's add the handles to the bag. Measure over 5 inches from each side and pin your handles as shown in the photo.


Make sure you don't twist the handles.


Stitch the handles on...



Fold up and do a nice X-stitch. You want nice strong handles to load up lots of fresh veggies..



OK.. we are almost done. With wrong sides together, stitch 1/4 inch seam down both sides.


Turn right side out and stitch 1/2 inch seam allowance on both sides. You just made a french seam!! oh la la...


Press and you are FINISHED....

Now go make another one!! If you use FQ's you will just have to stitch the bottom seam just the same way you did the side seams. No biggeee....

And look, look... Pat made one...you know... to try out the instructions...



She boxed her bottom...(sounds fun, doesn't it)and you can too... There are tutorials all over the internet to show you. I would show you, but I don't box my bottoms....

If you make one, I would love to see it...

Nancy

8 comments:

Nancy Page said...

Great Tutorial!! Good job!! Well done!!
Have a super day.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Love this AND the sweet watermelon one I won from you last year! I use it all the time.
I may need to try making one for my DIL now that I have the tutorial and a sample. Thanks Nance.

Anne D said...

Great tutorial. I will have to make one. A girl cant have too many totes.

Pat said...

Nancy...your tutorial was perfect and I was able to make this bag very easily...and very quickly! I am thinking it would be nice to make one to put quilts in if I make them as gifts.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Great Tutorial! I will have to make one. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Heehee, "boxed her bottom" that sounds dirty.....

Bag Manufacturers said...

I appreciate your post, i learn few things in this post, I have book marked this internet site so ideally I’ll see much more on this subject in the foreseeable future!
regards:
bag manufacturers

seniorpal said...

Great Turtorial for self taught gals. Box the bottom MMMM! I'll have to read up on that. Thanks for such nice ideas