Tuesday, April 6, 2010

so sad.....(and happy too!)

Wherever we live we try to buy locally. When we moved to St Louis and needed new mattresses we went to a local store where they actually make their own mattresses and bought two.. I grocery shop locally, I use the local pharmacy, the local dry cleaners and well, you get the idea...

Today I visited one of my local quilt shops. Sadly, she has decided to close the store the first of May. No words about the economy, just that she is done and she and hubby would like to relax a bit..

Of course a sale is always good...

some sunshiny yellows...



some Wild Thyme...



what's better than dots?



ah some blue for a diaper bag and matching green...just because...



backing for the Chicken Quilt...


and a new ruler.. I hope it comes with instructions..



I will be sad for the shop to close. She is the only one in the area to carry Aurifil thread and that's all I use.

Nancy

12 comments:

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

It's not Patches that is closing is it?

Anonymous said...

Too bad there's nobody to buy the shop and keep it going.

Rhonda said...

Oh Nancy what a sale.....aren't sales great??? It is sad that another quilt shop is closing its doors though.
Take care and enjoy your buys!

Unknown said...

Very nice purchases, sad about the close, but if you want the thread at a terrific price, go to Nancy Rink's site.

Pat said...

I'm sorry your local shop is folding its tent. Those things are always sad.

Brenda said...

After seeing your loot I can feel your pain. What great fabrics! In one of our prfessional publications (the name eludes me righ now) I read that the average shop lasts an average of ten years before it closes or changs ownership. Nothing having to do with the economy but more to do with owner burn out. I thought that was interesting... I guess I have six years left, LOL!
Oh, and I carry Aurifil threads. =)

Janet said...

What great purchases but yes it's a hard job running a quilt shop so I've heard. We've had so many close down.

Sandy Panagos said...

Very pretty fabrics! I hate to see a quilt shop close, but I can't imagine the work involved in running one, either.

Kris said...

I feel the same way you do about shopping locally. It is so important! Glad you got to benefit from the closing down sale, sorry to hear your best shop will be gone.

Katie said...

Hmmm...I wonder what you will be doing with those yellows? I see yellows and charcoal grays. Lucky for you I also know someone who would LOVE a quilt that looked just like that. I have some inside information, email me!

Nancy Page said...

You found some great bargains as did I. I just can't get to my blog to post about it all. The shop that is closing is/was a great little shop. It is sad to see this it go. The shop is/was so close to my house that it was dangerous. They are/were always cheerful and happy to see you when you went into the store. Tis a sad day for quilters in this area.
What are your plans for that sunny yellow?
Have a super great day.

Sharon (Stitches on Mars) said...

Hi Nancy,

Its always sad when a patchwork shop closes, especially one you frequent.
This happened to me too earlier this year. I had done my very first class there...it had been my reward to buy a fat quarter or too before braving the uphill walk home. I missed it when it moved, but now its gone for good.
Though as you say the sale and fabric purchased were nice :)

Hugs, Sharon