Thursday, February 10, 2011

Need some help...

Right to left ....DMC 4180, 4030, 4120 and 4070

I am certainly getting my money's worth with this pattern..  I started the little one on the left with a variegated thread I had up in the sewing room...then realized that pink was the only color I had...so I took off for Michael's and bought 6 more colors.  I love these...  I will use some regular colors to do the faces and hair..

And I am doing all backstitch.  I usually do a stem stitch, but I have always wanted to do an all backstitch embroidery so this will be it.  I am getting better as I go..

BUT...I want to change the word to something else.  It would have to be something to do with Winter as these kids have on coats and hats and one has a scarf...  I would like to be able to have this out longer than just the Christmas season.  Any ideas??  One family has 4 people, but I don't know if I want to put B. K. O. A. (the first initials) on the front of a pillow.  It looks like I can't spell... and the other family has 5 so I could draw another one and put M. K. G. J. A. on it.  What do you think?  Or I could use a 4 letter word that is winter themed, like COLD or SLED or um... that's all I can think of...

And Pat asked me yesterday what thread I use... I use two strands of DMC most often..  For the redwork I had some Floche that I remember now that I bought at a local thread store.  Floche is a little more delicate than DMC and has a tendency to shred so you have to cut it shorter and that means you have more ends to deal with.   And you don't separate it, so there are less tangles.. 

So any ideas on a words or thoughts on using initials...

Nancy

4 comments:

Pat said...

I think I'd put B r r r since it's a COLD-weather piece and then embroider a few snowflakes coming down from the sky. That would allow it to stay out all winter and would put one letter under each "character". COLD would work, too.......or SNOW

~Laurie~ said...

Mmmm, I like the idea of the kids' initials on the little people, but I think it might look odd? How about L-O-V-E? I love the look of using different colors - I think this looks even better than variegated thread would look :) Maybe pencil in the letters and see what it would look like - if it's going to a specific family - maybe the initials would look fine to them? (can you tell how decisive I am today??)

Splendorfalls said...

these are so stinkin' cute! the redwork ones too...gah! you make me want to run out and embroider something (which I stink at)!

Could you put a different snowflake on each one?

Kristyne said...

Omg, that is too cute! I'm Canadian ao I totally relate to the toques, scarves & mitts. My vote is S.N.O.W.