Friday, June 17, 2011

I've been playing...

I started with part of a charm pack and some solid white squares I cut... Sewed them together alternating the print and white squares..


I opened this package...

And used this little ruler...
To cut the top into this....

 

I ended up with this...but didn't like the partial pinwheels on the sides ...

So I added a strip of white to the top, bottom and both sides.. and recut

And ended up with this...
Hm....now what the hell do I do?  It's not very big...  I didn't measure it but it's maybe the size of a large couch pillow.  I thought of using it as the front of tote, but it might be too big... Oh well, back to the drawing board...  I'm not sure this the best use of the ruler...  You are supposed to sew print squares together with no white...and then the pinwheels are tessellating..  Like this...  (sorry I am linking to a giveaway post. It's an old one from April and the giveaway is over, but the two photos show the way you are supposed to use this ruler...)   It would take a lot of charms to make a lap quilt ...   as you can tell I sewed 6 charms across and 5 charms down for a total of 30 charms...and that's the biggest it gets.. If I had a Accuquilt Go Cutter I might do a lap size cause I could cut my own squares from stash...but I don't think I would buy enough charm packs to do it...  Oh well, it was fun...  Maybe I will do it again with my Fresh Flowers charm pack and make a tote..or a pillow..

Nancy

5 comments:

Nancy Page said...

I like it! I think it looks great! You have Dancing Pinwheels! It makes your eyes dance around the piece. Well done! You are further than I am. I have only looked at my lil twister template.

Have a super great sewing and stitching day.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

I "love" my Lil' Twister tool...made a wall hanging last week...also, have the "Big Twister"..think i'll make my hubby a quilt for Christmas using blues and browns...

Enjoy

Bonnie said...

I love the Lil Twister. I have all of them. The one I like the most though was my flag one. Turned out really cute.

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

I haven't used a bought template, but I'm doing one using 8" squares initially, and it's coming up a good size. I was told the design is called square dance

Dianne Giles said...

I really like the white in between!! I have both twisters and after seeing your work, I will try your scheme with the white charm squares.